Organisation DetailsView Website
Internal Diversity Networks:
These icons refer to the respective internal networks or groups we have established, click one to view more information.
Diversity at Travers Smith:
The LGBT+ group plays an important role in helping create an inclusive workplace. It does this by providing a welcoming and supportive space for people to discuss issues relating to sexual orientation and gender identity, and to influence the firm’s approach to diversity and inclusion more broadly. It is an open and inclusive network for members of the LGBT+ community as well as their friends and allies. Since its inception, the group has organised a variety of events, both internally and in the wider community, and has provided a number of LGBT+ organisations with meaningful support to progress LGBT+ inclusion more broadly. The group is led by Daniel Gerring (Partner and Head of Pensions).
The BAME group is open to everyone with an interest in issues relating to individuals from a Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic background. Focussing on race and ethnicity, the group aims to build awareness, foster relationships across the firm, share best practice and build links with the wider community (including schools, universities and businesses). Led by Mahesh Varia, a partner in our Tax team, the group is comprised of, and very much open to people from across the firm, including lawyers and business services.
Gender Balance Group
The Gender Balance Group’s aim is to inspire change and continual progress in gender equality for all our people as well as our clients and the wider community and to ensure that we all feel a sense of ownership in helping create a more inclusive workplace at Travers Smith. The Gender Balance Group strives to be fully inclusive and its events and initiatives are open to everybody at Travers Smith, regardless of gender or role.
Some of the main aims of the Gender Balance Group are to:
- celebrate and promote positive role models
- explore the role of men and women in creating an inclusive workplace
- provide our people with opportunities to share experiences through informal peer group networking
- connect with our clients and the wider community to explore opportunities for collaboration on gender diversity issues
- generate opportunities for professional development to help build a more diverse talent pipeline at Travers Smith
- generate discussion about professional and personal successes and the leadership journeys provided by inspirational role models from the firm and wider society.
The group is led by its Chairs, Lucie Cawood (Private Equity Partner) and Huw Jenkin (Dispute Resolution Partner).
Diversity and Inclusion Board
We have recently established a Diversity and Inclusion Board. It comprises of partners drawn from across the firm, including the Chairs of the firm’s 4 network groups, as well as the HR Director and the CSR & Diversity Director. Chaired by the firm’s Senior Partner, the D&I Board plays a crucial role in helping to:
- create a fully inclusive workplace where people can be themselves, and where everyone can achieve their potential
- celebrate the individuality of our people, and use these differences to achieve better results, to help attract to the firm the best people and to better serve our clients and communities
- stimulate internal discussion on inclusion, diversity and collaboration.
Faith Resources Group
The group acts as a resource and point of contact for information on aspects of faith or religious observance and practice, with the objective of assisting Travers Smith partners, staff and clients to observe their faith in a fulfilling manner. Led by Jonathan Gilmour (Finance Partner) the group is comprised of, and very much open to people from across the firm, including lawyers and business services.
Firm Quote On Diversity:
We are proud to be a firm where driven, intelligent and engaging people from diverse backgrounds can enjoy themselves and be successful; working together with trust and respect in a collaborative and non-hierarchical environment. Our goal is to help one another realise our full potential and to offer everybody who works at the firm the opportunity to have a rewarding and fulfilling long-term career.