Register your interest in the Aspiring Solicitors Commercial Awareness Competition 2019/20
Register your interest
What is the Competition?
The Commercial Awareness Competition is designed to develop and refine each participant’s awareness of political, economic and current affairs, as well as the commercial impact of these developments. The overriding objective of the Competition is to help entrants secure training contracts.
The Competition will run from October 2019 and consists of six rounds. The Competition is CV-blind, which means entrants are only assessed according to performance in each round rather than their academic background or previous experience.
Who can enter?
You must be an Aspiring Solicitors member and must be from at least one of the following underrepresented groups in the legal profession:
- Black, Asian or minority ethnic; and/or
- Socially mobile (at least two of the following should apply to you: primary carer; from a low income family, state school educated; first generation to attend university; refugee or been in local authority care); and/or
- LGBT+; and/or
- Disabled or have a long-term health condition.
You must also be:
- an undergraduate; and/or
- a postgraduate; and/or
- a graduate (whether working or in education);
- must not have secured a Training Contract offer; and
- based in the UK for the purposes of competing in person at the Quarter Final, Semi Final and Final rounds.
First year students are welcome and encouraged to participate. In 2017/18, we had a number of first years go through to the Grand Final.
Please note that this year, all entrants register as individuals and you will not be required to form a team at any stage. Aspiring Solicitors will place entrants in teams at the Quarter Finals onwards.
This will ensure that the best performers reach the final of the Competition.
What’s in it for you?
*Prizes* for the winning team:
- One week’s work experience with each of our sponsoring organisations: Barclays, Dechert, Mayer Brown, TLT and Travers Smith. That is a total of five weeks’ paid legal work experience; and
- A bespoke suit for each team member, courtesy of Lexis Nexis and A Suit That Fits.
You’ll also have the opportunity to impress law firms. In 2016/17 and 2017/2018, every member of the respective winning teams has since obtained a training contract, with an amazing 100% of the 2018 team obtaining a training contract offer with a sponsoring firm!
Meanwhile, a number of finalists impressed to such an extent that they were also offered the opportunity to attend work experience or vacation schemes. In 2017/18, several went on to obtain training contracts.
Finally, our 2017/18 entrants said the Competition was the leading initiative in significantly improving their commercial awareness. In particular, they felt the Competition developed their confidence and their understanding of how commercial law firms expect candidates to structure and articulate arguments.
Some quotes from our finalists
Richard Herstell, Commercial Awareness Competition Winner 2017/18 and Future Trainee Solicitor at Dechert
“The Competition is well established, prestigious and recognised by leading law firms – not to be missed by any student serious about a career in law.”
Arjun Patel, Commercial Awareness Competition Winner 2017/18 and Future Trainee Solicitor at Baker McKenzie
“No other competition in the UK will help you succeed in becoming an excellent lawyer!”
Sarah Johnson, Commercial Awareness Competition Winner 2017/18, Future Trainee Solicitor at Clifford Chance
“Enter the Competition to strengthen and develop your commercial knowledge, presentation skills and ability to articulate complex issues in a clear and concise way.”