Applications for the Aspiring Solicitors Black Scholarship 2020 are now closed. However, if you are eligible for the 2021 Scholarship, please apply via the new application form on this page. Recipients of the 2020 Scholarship will be contacted by 30 January 2020.
The Aspiring Solicitors Black Scholarship 2021 is for Black aspiring solicitors in their first year of a law undergraduate degree (starting September 2020) or penultimate year of a non-law undergraduate degree (graduating 2022).
The Aspiring Solicitors Black Scholarship was inspired by Charles Ashie, AS Alumnus and Future Trainee at Dechert. Charles completed his undergraduate degree at the University of Hull and postgraduate degree at the University of Edinburgh. He believes that Aspiring Solicitors played an instrumental role in helping him to secure his Training Contract.
The Aspiring Solicitors Black Scholarship will provide financial support, careers advice and legal work experience to ensure black aspiring solicitors have the best possible start to their legal careers.
What does the scholarship entail?
- The monetary value up to £3,000 in the form of a voucher, to be used on smart business wear of the recipient’s choosing;
- A place on the AS First and AS Aspire coaching schemes 2021;
- Mentoring and lunch with Charles Ashie, AS Alumnus and Future Trainee Solicitor at Dechert, to discuss a career in law. This will take place during one of the university holiday periods (Winter or Easter); and
- A place on the ‘Barclays Legal Work Experience Weeks’ programme 2021.
Who is eligible?
- Black Aspiring Solicitors members who are first year law (starting September 2020) or penultimate year non-law (graduating 2022) undergraduates.
What’s the process?
- All AS members will need to complete an application form by 31 December 2020. A shortlist will be generated based on the answers to the form and interviews will take place in January 2021. The winner of the Scholarship will be announced w/c 20 January 2021.