Utilise the Black Aspiring Solicitors Scholarship
We are proud to launch The Black Aspiring Solicitors Scholarship for black aspiring solicitors in their first year of a law or penultimate year of a non-law undergraduate degree.
The Black Aspiring Solicitors Scholarship was inspired by Charles Ashie, AS Alumni and Future Trainee at Dechert LLP. Charles completed his undergraduate degree at the University of Hull and postgraduate degree at the University of Edinburgh. He believes that Aspiring Solicitors played an instrumental role in helping him to secure his Training Contract.
The Black Aspiring Solicitors Scholarship will provide financial support, careers advice and legal work experience to ensure black aspiring solicitors have the best possible start to their legal careers.
What does the scholarship entail?
- The monetary value up to £3,000 in the form of a voucher, to be used on smart business wear of the recipient’s choosing;
- A place on the AS First and AS Aspire coaching schemes 2020;
- Mentoring and lunch with Charles Ashie, AS Alumni and Future Trainee Solicitor at Dechert, to discuss a career in law. This will take place during one of the university holiday periods (Winter or Easter); and
- A place on the ‘Barclays Legal Work Experience Weeks’ programme.
Who is eligible?
- Black Aspiring Solicitors members who are first year law or penultimate year non-law undergraduates.
What’s the process?
All AS members will need to complete an application form by 31 December 2019. A shortlist will be generated based on the answers to the form and interviews will take place in January 2020. The winner of the Scholarship will be announced w/c 20 January 2020.