We are proud to launch The LGBT+ Aspiring Solicitors Scholarship for LGBT+ aspiring solicitors in their first year of a law or penultimate year of a non-law undergraduate degree.
Recognising that LGBT+ individuals are significantly underrepresented in the legal profession, this Scholarship provides financial support, careers advice and legal work experience to LBGT+ aspiring solicitors that have demonstrated a commitment to pursuing a career in commercial law. The Scholarship is designed to ensure that LGBT+ individuals have the best possible start to their legal careers.
What does the scholarship entail?
- The monetary value of up to £3,000 in the form of a voucher, to be used on smart business wear of the recipient’s choosing;
- A place on the AS First AND AS Aspire coaching schemes 2020;
- Mentoring sessions with Tuvia Borok, Executive Director and Senior Counsel at Goldman Sachs and Rachel Reese Director of Global Butterflies;
- Lunch with Rachel Lindberg, AS Alumni and Trainee Solicitor at Hogan Lovells, and Justin Farrence, AS Alumni and Future Trainee Solicitor at Allen & Overy, to discuss a career in law. This will take place during one of the university holiday periods (Winter or Easter); and
- A place on the ‘Barclays Legal Work Experience Weeks’ programme.
Who is eligible?
- LGBT+ Aspiring Solicitors members who are first year law or penultimate year non-law undergraduates.
What’s the process?
All AS members will need to complete an application form by 31 December 2019. A shortlist will be generated based on the answers to the form and interviews will take in January 2020. The winner of the Scholarship will be announced w/c 20 January 2020.