Applications for the Aspiring Solicitors LGBT+ Scholarship 2020 are now closed. However, if you are eligible for the 2021 Scholarship, please apply via the new application form on this page. Recipients of the 2020 Scholarship will be contacted by 30 January 2020.
The Aspiring Solicitors LGBT+ Scholarship 2021 is for LGBT+ aspiring solicitors in their first year of a law undergraduate degree (starting September 2020) or penultimate year of a non-law undergraduate degree (graduating 2022).
Recognising that LGBT+ individuals are significantly underrepresented in the legal profession, this Scholarship provides financial support, careers advice and legal work experience to LBGT+ aspiring solicitors that have demonstrated a commitment to pursuing a career in commercial law. The Scholarship is designed to ensure that LGBT+ individuals have the best possible start to their legal careers.
What does the scholarship entail?
- The monetary value of up to £3,000 in the form of a voucher, to be used on smart business wear of the recipient’s choosing;
- A place on the AS First AND AS Aspire coaching schemes 2021;
- Mentoring sessions with Tuvia Borok, Executive Director and Senior Counsel at Goldman Sachs and Rachel Reese, Director of Global Butterflies;
- Lunch with Rachel Lindberg, AS Alumnus and Solicitor at Hogan Lovells, and Justin Farrance, AS Alumnus and Future Trainee Solicitor at Allen & Overy, to discuss a career in law. This will take place during one of the university holiday periods (Winter or Easter); and
- A place on the ‘Barclays Legal Work Experience Weeks’ programme 2021.
Who is eligible?
- LGBT+ Aspiring Solicitors members who are first year law (stating September 2020) or penultimate year non-law undergraduates (graduating 2022).
What’s the process?
- All AS members will need to complete an application form by 31 December 2020. A shortlist will be generated based on the answers to the form and interviews will take in January 2021. The winner of the Scholarship will be announced in January 2021.