We are proud to launch The Asian Aspiring Solicitors Scholarship for Asian aspiring solicitors in their first year of a law or penultimate year of a non-law undergraduate degree.
The Asian Aspiring Solicitors Scholarship was inspired by Jagwinder Kaur and Vicky Chen, AS Alumni and Future Trainees at Macfarlanes and Allen & Overy. Jagwinder is a British Sikh and believes that Aspiring Solicitors played an instrumental role in helping her to secure her Training Contract. Vicky grew up in Dublin, Ireland as a first generation immigrant from China, and completed her undergraduate degree at King’s College London as a Dickson Poon Scholar. She aims to inspire AS members to see their background as an asset that can make them stronger candidates and better lawyers.
The Asian Aspiring Solicitors Scholarship will provide financial support, careers advice and legal work experience to ensure Asian aspiring solicitors have the best possible start to their legal careers.
What does the scholarship entail?
- The monetary value up to £3,000 in the form of a voucher, to be used on smart business wear of the recipient’s choosing;
- A place on the AS First and AS Aspire coaching schemes 2020;
- Mentoring and lunch with Jagwinder, AS Alumni and Future Trainee Solicitor at Macfarlanes and Vicky Chen, Future Trainee at Allen & Overy, to discuss a career in law. This will take place during one of the university holiday periods (Winter or Easter); and
- A place on the ‘Barclays Legal Work Experience Weeks’ programme.
Who is eligible?
- Asian Aspiring Solicitors members who are first year law or penultimate year non-law undergraduates.
What’s the process?
All AS members will need to complete an application form by 31 December 2019. A shortlist will be generated based on the answers to the form and interviews will take place in January 2020. The winner of the Scholarship will be announced w/c 20 January 2020.