Applications for the Aspiring Solicitors Asian Scholarship 2020 are now closed. However, if you are eligible for the 2021 Scholarship, please apply via this webpage. Recipients of the 2020 Scholarship will be contacted by 30 January 2020.
The Aspiring Solicitors Asian Scholarship 2021 is for Asian aspiring solicitors in their first year of a law undergraduate degree (starting September 2020) or penultimate year of a non-law undergraduate degree (graduating 2022).
The Aspiring Solicitors Asian Scholarship was inspired by Jagwinder Kaur and Vicky Chen, AS Alumni and Future Trainees at Macfarlanes and Allen & Overy. Jagwinder is a British Sikh and believes that Aspiring Solicitors played an instrumental role in helping her to secure her Training Contract. Vicky grew up in Dublin, Ireland as a first generation immigrant from China, and completed her undergraduate degree at King’s College London as a Dickson Poon Scholar. She aims to inspire AS members to see their background as an asset that can make them stronger candidates and better lawyers.
The Aspiring Solicitors Asian Scholarship will provide financial support, careers advice and legal work experience to ensure Asian aspiring solicitors have the best possible start to their legal careers.
What does the scholarship entail?
- The monetary value up to £3,000 in the form of a voucher, to be used on smart business wear of the recipient’s choosing;
- A place on the AS First and AS Aspire coaching schemes 2021;
- Mentoring and lunch with Jagwinder, AS Alumnus and Future Trainee Solicitor at Macfarlanes, and Vicky Chen, AS Alumnus and Future Trainee at Allen & Overy, to discuss a career in law. This will take place during one of the university holiday periods (Winter or Easter); and
- A place on the ‘Barclays Legal Work Experience Weeks’ programme 2021.
Who is eligible?
- Asian Aspiring Solicitors members who are first year law (starting September 2020) or penultimate year non-law undergraduates (graduating 2022).
What’s the process?
- Eligible AS members will need to complete an application form by 31 December 2020. A shortlist will be generated based on the answers to the form and interviews will take place in January 2021. The winner of the 2021 Scholarship will be announced in January 2021.