What is AS Excel?
AS Excel is a bespoke legal coaching programme in partnership with A&O for AS first year members currently studying at any UK Non-Russell Group university who intend to apply to A&O’s market-leading A&O First programme.
If you are successful on A&O’s First scheme, you could be fast-tracked to interview for either a Vacation Scheme or Training Contract at the firm.
The purpose of the AS Excel programme is to help you get onto A&O’s First programme.
The programme is delivered by AS coaches, one of whom is a former A&O lawyer.
What can I gain from joining AS Excel?
A&O First participants are fast-tracked for assessment for a vacation scheme or training contract in their penultimate year of undergraduate study.
From the 2022 cohort, 11 programme participants went on to secure a vacation scheme or training contract in 2022/2023.
The programme will include:
- A&O First application reviews by AS expert coaches (16 January-2 February 2024)
- Mock interview preparation (26-29 February 2024)
How can I apply?
If you meet the eligibility criteria listed below, please complete the application form on this page. To be considered for the programme, you must:
- Explain why you are motivated to become a commercial solicitor at A&O.
- Name two key skills that you are looking to develop during the AS Excel coaching programme and explain how you think these will be important in helping you to secure a place on A&O First.
Sign up deadline
Applications will be screened and considered on a rolling basis. The deadline to apply is 31 December 2023.
Please ensure that you meet the following eligibility requirements for A&O’s First programme before applying. To be eligbile, you must:
- Be in your first year of a three-year undergraudate degree (any degree discipline); or
- Be in your second year of a four-year undergraduate degree (any degree discipline); and
- Have achieved at least AAB (or equivalent) at A-levels (we do take into account mitigating circumstances); and
- Have serious intention to apply to A&O’s 2024 First programme (A&O First applications open 8 January 2024 - 9 February 2024).
Join today or sign in to apply
Become a member or sign in to apply for this opportunity.
Words from Allen & Overy
“At A&O, we know that we must do better when it comes to attracting candidates from a wider range of universities. Working closely with our long-term partner AS, we are excited to invest in this programme to support ambitious and motivated students from UK Non-Russell Group universities. We hope the support provided by AS will give candidates the confidence to apply and set them up for success in the A&O recruitment process.”
Words from Aspiring Solicitors
“This programme demonstrates a firm commitment from A&O to recruit from the largest possible talent pool. Aspiring Solicitors knows that Non-Russell Group universities educate amazing aspiring solicitors and we are delighted A&O shares that belief and more importantly, is partnering with AS on this programme to tap into it!”