The Government Legal Department Work Experience Programme
The Government Legal Department is launching a new two-week paid work experience scheme in spring 2022 for aspiring lawyers from diverse groups that are typically under-represented in the legal profession. The scheme will take place in GLD’s central London offices right in the heart of Westminster. GLD is a non-ministerial Civil Service department which provides legal advice, litigation services and more to the majority of central government departments. More information on GLD can be found here.
This unique opportunity is open to members who are already graduates (those who have completed their undergraduate degree). It does not matter when you graduated, or whether you are in further study or already in work. If you have a genuine interest in government law and are considering building your legal career in government, you are encouraged to apply. Successful applicants will be paid £1,036.74 (£518.37 per week) for their participation in the scheme.
The scheme will consist of undertaking real legal work under the supervision of a Grade 7 lawyer (equivalent to an Associate in most law firms) within GLD’s Litigation division. Throughout the scheme there will also be numerous sessions and talks, including opportunities to meet GLD’s advisory and expert services lawyers, a talk from GLD’s most senior leaders who make up the Executive Committee, sessions with HR on application skills and routes into government law, and more.
When is the scheme:
14 March – 25 March 2022
Government Legal Department, 102 Petty France, London, SW1H 9GL
When to apply:
Applications are now open and close on 7 January 2022
How to apply:
To apply, applicants will need to complete and submit an online application form before 7 January 2022
£518.37 per week (subject to personal tax circumstances)
- You must be an Aspiring Solicitors member. To become a registered member please click here;
- You must not have accepted a training contract with any law firm or legal team;
- You must have already completed your undergraduate degree. Students currently undertaking postgraduate study (such as a Masters/LPC/GDL) or career-changers already in work, are eligible to apply;
- You must have an interest in pursuing a career in government law; and
- Have the right to work in the UK.