Our Summer Internship will give you the opportunity to experience first-hand the workings of an in-house legal team. The position of Summer Intern at American Express enables you to enhance your practical experience while giving you the opportunity to directly support our team of lawyers, gaining exposure to a wide variety of matters from product to regulatory to commercial.
Why American Express?
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world.
What might the role typically involve?
Successful candidates will be directly supporting out team of lawyers, tasks will vary and may include legal research, document review, data analysis, contracts and knowledge management, and identifying regulatory developments.
When are the schemes?
2-3 months in Summer 2019 (8 July – 6 September 2020).
3 placements in Victoria, London, £375 per week (5 day week).
- be an Aspiring Solicitors member from one of our four underrepresented groups;
- not have accepted a training contract with any law firm or legal team;
- have a UK Right to Work;
- be a law student in the second year (minimum) of an undergraduate law degree (may be dual honours), or undertaking further legal studies (e.g. LLM, GDL, LPC, CPE);
- have completed Contract Law module(s);
- have strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills;
- be fluent in English, with another European language an advantage;
- have excellent attention to detail;
- have strong organisation and time management skills;
- be a self-starter and keen to learn, applying your legal skills while using initiative;
- have a strong interest in pursuing a legal career; and
- have received or be on target for at least a 2.1 degree classification (excluding mitigating circumstances).
- The process is CV and application form based and there will be an interview as well.