Aspiring Solicitors is delighted to offer Aspiring Solicitors Members the chance to apply for a one week placement with the Government Legal Service (GLS). The placements will run from Monday 4 July 2016 to Friday 8 July 2016 and will be based in central London.
Lawyers in the GLS provide legal advice to the government and represent it in court. The scope of government activity means that this work can include anything from military action overseas, immigration policy or housing provision to measures surrounding the development of onshore wind farms or improving the quality of care provided to vulnerable children.
A placement with the GLS is an ideal opportunity for 10 Aspiring Solicitors members to gain an insight into this challenging and unique area of legal work. Over the course of the placement, you will;
- Take part in a series of interactive workshops designed to provide you with an understanding of the GLS’s litigation, legislation and commercial law roles
- Hear from a government minister and senior government lawyers about the interaction between law and politics
- Tour the Houses of Parliament and the Supreme Court; and
- Work alongside government lawyers and legal trainees.
- You must be an Aspiring Solicitors Member
- Any year, law or non-law (including GDL and LPC students and graduates)
- Whilst there is no minimum grade criteria to apply for the vacation scheme, to be eligible to apply to for a training contract or pupilage you must have, or be on course to obtain, a minimum 2:2 in your degree.
How to apply ?
Applications for this opportunity are now closed.
A contribution to travel and accommodation expenses will be provided for the week experience.
We look forward to receiving your applications.