- Date: 10th November 2017
- Time: 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Location: Allen & Overy, London
Booking for this event is now closed
Aspiring Solicitors is excited to announce a unique event focused on increasing awareness, understanding and confidence for aspiring solicitors from low income families, state school comprehensives and first generation of families to attend university- The AS Social Mobility Event!
The first of its kind event will be hosted by Allen & Overy but will include participation from a range of law firms and lawyers from a cross section of private practice and in-house legal teams including BT, Barclays and Bank of America Merrill Lynch to name but a few.
The agenda below is packed full of useful, targeted and inspiring information/advice.
- 11:00-11:20 Arrivals, Registrations & Coffee
- 11:20- 11:40 Intros from A&O & Aspiring Solicitors
- 11:40- 12:10 A&O Speaker and Q&A
- 12:10- 12:50 Graduate Recruitment Session on Social Mobility (10 lawyers law firms)
- 12:50- 13:30 Light Lunch
- 13:30- 14:15 Importance of personal branding
- 14:15- 15:00 Senior Panel Event (Barclays, BT, DLA Piper, A&O)
- 15:00- 15:10 Break
- 15:10- 15:40 “How I did it” (Taylor Wessing, A&O, Norton Rose Fulbright, Dechert)
- 15:40- 16:00 Wrap up & Depart
Here’s what A&O had to say about the event:
“At Allen & Overy we recognise that people are different, in ways that we can see and ways that we can’t. We think that is a good thing. Being diverse and ensuring that we are inclusive helps us to attract the best people, innovate and relate to our clients. Partnering with Aspiring Solicitors has allowed us to reach students from a variety of backgrounds and a wide range of universities. Our relationship with Aspiring Solicitors has led to many applications from their members and we are proud to co-host this event focussing on social mobility in the legal profession.
We believe that business has an important role to play in helping young people reach their full potential. Around the world our offices partner with schools, colleges, community groups and universities to open up opportunities for young people and to broaden their horizons. This event is a great opportunity for students considering a career in law to gain an insight into the profession. Join us to meet some of our partners and trainees who will be sharing their experiences of entering the profession, including the challenges they faced and how they overcame them. Our learning and development team will give you an insight into how to develop your own personal brand and why this is important. Finally a range of graduate recruiters will be offering advice on how to secure that all important vacation scheme or training contract.”
To apply for this event you must:
- be an Aspiring Solicitors member;
- be in any year of study at undergraduate or post graduate education or be a graduate from university;
- be available to attend the entire event on 10 November 11am-4pm;
- not have previously attended an event with the firm (whether with Aspiring Solicitors, another organisation, or independently);
- want to pursue a legal career at an international commercial law firm; and
- be on track to secure or have secured at least a 2:1 degree qualification.
- Please note all AS events are for those who are from a group underrepresented in the legal profession and this event focuses on those who are from at least two of the following groups:
- – low income family
- – educated in a state school comprehensive (or in receipt of a scholarship to attend a fee paying school)
- – first generation of your family to attend university
- Deadline for applications is 15 October 2017 at 10am and places will be offered on a first come, first served basis.
- No late applications will be accepted;
- Reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed by the firm;
- Applications will be reviewed after the deadline and offers made after that date; and
- All those who applied will be notified of the outcome of their application within three weeks of the deadline.