- Date: 3rd November 2020
- Time: 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Booking for this event is now closed
AS Social Mobility events are focussed on increasing awareness, understanding and confidence for aspiring solicitors from socially mobile backgrounds such as being from low-income families, attending state school comprehensives or being the “first gen” to attend university.
The majority of the AS Membership is socially mobile so in order to cater to the overwhelming demand we receive each year, this is one of two AS Social Mobility events we will be delivering this year.
Each will cover the core issues in the legal profession for this under-represented group, but please note that the sponsor firms are providing slightly different agendas and you should choose the one that suits you best. You have the option of applying for both, but you will only be offered a place at one of these events to ensure fairness for all AS Members.
If you would like insights into what you can expect, watch our video of the 2019 event, which includes testimonials from AS Members in attendance.
- 13:45 – 14:15 – Student Arrival and Registration
- 14:15 – 14:30 – Introductory Speeches from Allen & Overy and Aspiring Solicitors
- 14:30 – 15:30 – Session 1: Social Mobility in the Application Process and In Practice
- 15:30 – 16:00 – Session 2: Personal Branding
- 16:00 – 16:15 – Session 3: Inclusion at Allen & Overy
- 16:15 – 16:30 – Break
- 16:30 – 17:15 – Session 4: Senior Panel
- 17:15 – 17:45 – Session 5: Success Stories
- 17:45 – 18:00 – Closing Speech
- 18:00 – 19:00 – Networking and Canapés
To apply for this event you must:
- be an Aspiring Solicitors member;
- be in any year of study at undergraduate or postgraduate education or be a graduate from university;
- be available to attend the entire event;
- be a social mobility candidate (i.e. at least two from the following – be from a low income family, state school comprehensive, first generation of your family to attend university, be a refugee, have spent more than 3 month in local authority care);
- want to pursue a legal career at an international commercial law firm; and
- be on track to secure or have secured at least a 2:1 degree qualification.
- No late applications will be accepted;
- Applications will be reviewed after the deadline and offers made after that date; and
- We are delivering a second AS Social Mobility event in November, sponsored by Clyde & Co, you are welcome to apply to both events but will only be selected for one of these to ensure fairness for all AS Members.