- Date: 25th June 2018 - 6th July 2018
- Time: All Day
- Location: Network Rail, London
Booking for this event is now closed
Aspiring Solicitors are delighted to partner with Network Rail to offer our members legal work experience in London in June and July this year!
More about the scheme
The Vacation Scheme offers the opportunity for six students to join Network Rail’s legal team for a week this summer to learn about the role of an in-house legal advisor and gain experience in a vibrant and dynamic multi-disciplinary office environment in central London.
The legal team advise on everything from day to day contracts to major projects. The team is split into Property, Routes (which is a mixture of contentious and non-contentious legal work aligned with Network Rail’s geographical routes), National Policy and Strategy and Corporate. Much of the legal team’s work is at a strategic level or is in specialised areas of law. The work is frequently more business-focussed than conventional legal work in private practice.
The placement presents a fantastic opportunity to begin to gain an understanding of the interaction between economic, political and social spheres and how these interrelationships will affect the strategic approach Network Rail will take to ensure the delivery of thousands of projects each year.
Network Rail is a safety critical organisation and those undertaking a placement are required to adhere to our Lifesaving Rules, Drugs and Alcohol Policy and Social Media Policy, copies of which will be provided to successful applicants.
The scheme is unpaid but reasonable travel expenses will be refunded.
The legal commercial work placement will take place at Network Rail’s London Bridge offices and Aspiring Solicitors members can expect to be doing the following work:
- Attend Court – the RCJ, Old Bailey or the Employment Tribunal – 1 day
- Site Visit to a Managed Station – Probably London Bridge – half day
- Assist with legal research
- Draft documents
- Spend time in 3 departments – Legal, Corporate Commercial and TED/FOI
- Attend internal meetings
- Attend external meetings
- Participate in conference calls
- Attend safety briefings
- Experience visualisation
To be eligible for this scheme you must be:
- an Aspiring Solicitors member
- at least in your penultimate year of an undergraduate Law degree or final year of a non-Law degree, be in any year of post graduate education or be a university graduate;
- be interested in working as an in-house lawyer or in the public sector; and
- be on track to secure or have secured at least a 2:1 degree qualification.
Reasonable travel expenses will be refunded.
As we have now reached the maximum amount of applications, bookings are now closed.