- Date: 1st July 2020
- Time: 10:00 am - 3:15 pm
- Location: Allen & Overy, London
Applications for the 2020 event are now closed. Please register your interest for the 2021 event.
Please note that the event date has been moved to 1 July 2020. Please monitor this page and our social media for updates, as further places may become available in the next few weeks.
Achieving better gender balance is a top priority for A&O.
In 2016, we launched a new gender strategy and established a Gender Advisory Committee to oversee action and progress. Since then, we’ve worked harder to understand the real barriers that women face, and have introduced measures to identify our best female lawyers earlier on and track how effectively we’re developing them to become future leaders of the business.
We have a strong representation of women in leadership positions on our Board (33%), Executive Committee (40%), Risk Committee (50%) and People & Performance Board (42%).
However, like most professional services firms, women are underrepresented in our partner numbers. Currently, 18% of our partners globally are women. One of our priorities, therefore, is to achieve better gender balance at the top of our organisation.
We know it will take time to achieve roughly equal proportions of men and women at the top of our business, but our gender strategy is designed to provide visibility and accountability for making progress every year until we get there.
After an immensely successful inaugural Women in Law event in March 2019, we look forward to providing a platform for inspirational women and meeting many more AS members on 1 July 2020.
Please register your interest to attend the second AS Women In Law event focused on increasing awareness, understanding and confidence for female aspiring solicitors.
The event will be hosted by A&O but will also include participation from a range of law firms and lawyers from a cross-section of private practice and in-house legal teams.
The agenda below is packed full of useful, targeted and inspiring information/advice.
- 10.00 – Arrival and registration
- 10.30 – Introductory Speeches from Allen & Overy and Aspiring Solicitors
- 10.45 – Embracing the application process
- 11.30 – Thriving in the profession
- 12.15 – Gender Diversity at A&O
- 12.45 – Lunch and networking
- 14.00 – Senior female panel
- 15.00 – Closing speeches
- 15.15 – Finish
To apply for this event you must:
- be an Aspiring Solicitors member;
- be in any year of study at undergraduate or postgraduate education or be a graduate from university;
- be available to attend the entire event;
- be interested in the challenges facing women in law;
- want to pursue a legal career at an international commercial law firm; and
- be on track to secure or have secured at least a 2:1 degree qualification.