- Date: 4th February 2019
- Time: 9:30 am - 3:00 pm
- Location: Allen & Overy, London
A&O are committed to being a place where a diverse group of people can be themselves and bring the best of themselves to their careers. Through creating an inclusive environment for everyone and working alongside organisations such as Aspiring Solicitors we are able to do this.
Allen & Overy is a pioneering legal practice operating around the world at the frontline of developing business. By helping companies, institutions and governments tackle ever-more complex issues and transactions on a global stage, it is leading the way and extending what is possible in law.
With 44 offices in 31 countries, plus a network of relationship firms in other locations, A&O is one of the few legal practices that can genuinely claim to be global, covering 99% of the world’s economy.
For the firm’s clients this means global reach and access to high-calibre, internationally minded local expertise. For trainees, it means exposure to multinational work, collaboration with colleagues from around the world and, in many cases, the opportunity to travel. Currently, 73% of its transactional work involved two or more countries and 55% involved three or more.
“At A&O we believe that diversity gives us a richer working environment and the business benefits are undeniable. Having a diverse workforce and ensuring that we are inclusive helps us to attract the best people, innovate and better understand and relate to our clients. Our partnership with Aspiring Solicitors helps us in engaging with a broad range of individuals and in turn support us in continuing to recruit high calibre talent” Ben Moult, Graduate Recruitment Specialist
Allen & Overy are looking for Aspiring Solicitors first year university students to join them on for an interactive Open Day to gain a deeper understanding of the role of a lawyer and what it would be like to work at Allen & Overy. Attendees will be given the opportunity to meet lawyers from across A&O’s different practice groups, ask lots of questions, have a tour of the offices and take part in some hands on sessions where we hope you will learn some more about yourself, as well as A&O.
To apply for this event you must:
- be an Aspiring Solicitors member;
- have secured AAB at A-Level;
- be a 1st year law student or a penultimate year non-law student;
- be from at least one of the following diversity groups (i) Black Asian or Minority Ethnic (ii) be socially mobile (i.e. at least two from the following- be from a low income family, state school comprehensive, first generation of your family to attend university, be a refugee, have spent more than 3 month in local authority care) (iii) be LGBT+ (iv) have a disability or long term health condition;
- want to pursue a legal career at an international commercial law firm; and
- have secured at least BBB at A-Levels or equivalent.
- No late applications will be accepted;
- Reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed where travel is booked promptly following invitation to the event and on the production of a valid receipt up to £75;
- Applications will be reviewed after the deadline and offers made after that date; and
- All those who applied will be notified of the outcome of their application within three weeks of the event.