AS First offers unique legal work experience, events and coaching for first year aspiring solicitors who are BAME, from low socio economic groups, LGBT+ or have a disability or long term health condition!
AS First is an exciting programme open to Aspiring Solicitors members across the UK and will ensure our members build the knowledge and confidence to to kickstart their legal career.
The programme is designed and delivered by our employability experts and future trainees who have recently successfully navigated the legal recruitment process. Participants in AS First will benefit from Aspiring Solicitors employability conferences, workshops and one-to-one mentoring/coaching.
We will hold workshops across the country. The workshops will focus on:
- Understanding the different types of law firms;
- Opportunities available;
- CV workshop;
- Events with our partner law firms from February-April 2019;
- Legal work experience with our corporate partners; and
- A fast track onto our unique AS Aspire mentoring scheme!
When is the programme?
The 2019 programme will run from February to April 2019.
Conference dates are:
- Thursday 21 February (Bristol)
- Wednesday 27 February (Manchester)
- X February X TBC (London)
- x February X TBC (Birmingham)
Our events, workshops and one-to-one coaching from former Graduate Recruitment Mangers and lawyers will begin in March 2019.
To apply for this programme you must:
- Be an Aspiring Solicitors member who is either (i) in their first year of a three year undergraduate Law degree (ii) in their second year of a four year undergraduate Law degree, or (iii) in their penultimate year of a non-law degree;
- Want to pursue a legal career at a commercial law firm;
- be an Aspiring Solicitors member from one of our four underrepresented groups;
- You must not have accepted a training contract with any law firm or legal team; and
- You must have an interest in pursuing a legal career at a commercial law firm.
- Please apply for the 2019 programme ASAP. Places will be offered on a first come first served basis.