Apply to be a part of our enhanced employability & coaching service…
Aspiring Solicitors is changing
After five successful years, during which our members have obtained over 1,400 vacation schemes and training contracts, Aspiring Solicitors is changing how we provide our services to students. The main reason for this change is to ensure that we continue to reach out to, and assist, the students who need it the most, in the most meaningful manner possible.
From September 2018, we are launching ‘Aspire’. This 9-month programme for approximately 300 Aspiring Solicitors members will include bespoke careers coaching throughout the academic year from our expert legal employability team in the form of fortnightly employability appointments, career strategy sessions, mock interviews and assessment centre preparation, as well as the opportunity to attend specific open days and be mentored by one of our partner law firms or legal teams. Barclays Legal, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Freshfields and Dentons (amongst others) will be providing commercial mentoring opportunities for Aspire members.
Only our members on AS Aspire will be eligible for our mentoring programmes, some of our work experience programmes, the majority of our open days and all employability appointments (mock interviews, telephone advice) we currently offer.
Why are you making this change?
As Aspiring Solicitors has grown over the past few years, and our events and employability services have become more and more oversubscribed, we feel it’s the right time to change to a more structured programme. We have listened to feedback from our members that we should provide an in-depth employability service. This will allow us to support our most active members through all stages of the application process.
What will you still offer members who aren’t eligible for AS Aspire, or who aren’t accepted?
All Aspiring Solicitors members from one of our main underrepresented groups will be able to apply for for the law firm events, Commercial Awareness Competition, Barclays Legal Work Experience, our Flagship events (AS Ability, Culture, Social Mobility, Pride and Working Families), HeadStart Workshops, First Years Plus and reach out to our Professional Ambassadors.
Who can apply for AS Aspire?
- You must be an Aspiring Solicitors member from one of our four underrepresented groups;
- You must not have accepted a training contract with any law firm or legal team;
- You must be eligible to apply for a training contract in the 2018/19 academic year. This means you will need to be one of: a penultimate and final year Law undergraduate, a final year non-Law undergraduate, a graduate of any degree, a postgraduate student (including GDL/LPC/LLM or other post graduate degrees), a career changer or someone who has completed a degree and is working.) Anyone who will be in their first year of a Law degree or first/second year of a non-Law degree in 2018/2019 can apply to be on AS First.
- You must have an interest in pursuing a legal career in the UK or Ireland;
- You must be resident in the UK or Ireland in the academic year 2018/2019;
- You must have received ABB at A Level (or the international equivalent) (please note we take into account mitigating circumstances); and
- You must have received or be on target for at least a 2.1 degree classification (please note we take into account mitigating circumstances).
What is the application process
- The application window is open from 24 April 2018 and will close at 8 am on 31 July 2018.
- No late applications will be accepted, for any reason (including technological issues).
- You will be required to send us your CV at a later stage, and we will send you an email with further information after application.
- Stage One – Applications: you will be required to complete and submit a short application form (link on this web page). We will send an email asking for your CV in June, at this point you can also let us know about any mitigating circumstances you may have.
- Stage Two – Interviews: on 3 August 2018, all applicants will be sent an email to let them know whether they have been invited to interview or not. Interviews will take place in August across the country in Birmingham, Bristol London, Leeds and Manchester. If you are overseas at the time of the interview, it will take place by Skype. Details of the interviews will be provided in the above-mentioned email.
- Stage Three – Aspire: top scoring performers at interview will be invited to join Aspire. The programme will begin in September 2018.
- Outcome of application process: If you are not successful at any stage, you will be notified by email
- Any queries should be sent to email@example.com